Trading & The Law (LONDON)
The course will cover the main legal considerations affecting charities carrying out trading – particularly governance, funding, resource sharing and VAT. It will examine the different types of trading, identify pitfalls to avoid and make recommendations of best practice. The session will look at the VAT considerations when setting up and running a trading entity, with a focus on the application of income and corporation tax on trading profits, and how this will impact on the organisational structures set up
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- assess whether to run the trading through the charity or a subsidiary trading company
- be aware of your obligations under charity law when it comes to trading, including setting up a trading subsidiary
- understand how to structure a trading company, including setting up governance arrangements
- understand when and how to fund and share resources with a trading subsidiary
- understand the VAT implications of trading through the charity or a subsidiary company.
Who should attend
The course will be of interest to Finance, Business Development and Operations Directors/Managers in charities and other senior management team who:
- are looking to start or expand trading activities in their charity, whether to deliver charitable services or generate income
- already have a trading subsidiary and wish to review the governance and funding arrangements and whether it is needed for all trading.
* Please note - this course is for registered charities only.
Interactive presentations and practical examples.
Next course date:
The course is run in association with: